Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dogfish Head Brewery

I recently took a tour of the Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, DE. If you aren't familiar with this craft brewery, they make some seriously off-the-wall ales. Relatively new to the beermaking scene, their sales have really spread in the last decade. The tour was adequate, but I was a little underwhelmed as a homebrewer. I was hoping for a little more depth, but I suppose a personal tour would have been better for that. Also, I was looking forward to sampling some non-retailed or rare beers, but they served only four standard beers. Still, a fun tour at a brewery that is pushing the envelope of craft beermaking.













We also got a chance to see the famed Palo Santo wooden cask, which is used to age some unique beer. The New Yorker covered this interesting story here. I'd love to see Dogfish Head do some lagers, but that is another story.